Pyrite is an iron sulfide stone sacred to various peoples through the ages. Peruvian Incas and Mexican Aztecs polished large slabs or crystals of Pyrite into mirrors for gazing and scrying. Native Americans used Pyrite in amulets and for divination. They also used it for healing ceremonies.
When two pieces of Pyrite are struck together they create sparks. Thus, the name Pyrite comes from the Greek words pyro or pyros which mean fire.
Pyrite is the crystal commonly called “Fool’s Gold.” The name comes from mine owners who would “salt” played out mines with Pyrite. Thus, they thought to fool naive miners into thinking the mine still produced Gold. In Germany, though, it is called “Cat’s Gold.” Pyrite is a lighter color than Gold, though. It is also harder and more brittle.
Note: Pyrite can make sulfuric acid when placed in water. So do not ingest it, and use only the indirect method of making elixirs.
What would you use Pyrite for in crystal healing treatments, or grids?
Spiritual, Metaphysical, Energy, and Historical Healing Crystal Meanings
- Health: This stone promotes well-being and strong health.
- Contagious diseases: Protects from them, even colds, flu, and fungal infections.
- Karmic Dis-ease: This crystal gets to the bottom of this and psychosomatic illness as well.
- Environmental Pollution: It also protects you from environmental pollution.
- Inflammation: This crystal reduces inflammation. It also can reduce fever.
- Oxygen: Pyrite increases oxygen in the blood and helps the circulatory system. It also treats blood disorders.
- Respiratory System: This crystal is helpful to lungs and can help with asthma and bronchitis.
- Bones: It strengthens the bones.
- Male Impotence: This crystal can dispel male impotence.
- Anxiety: It relieves anxiety. It also reduces depression.
- Stamina: This stone increases stamina and vitality.
Please remember that healing crystal meanings are not medical advice. Crystal healing is support for healing and wellness. See a doctor or other licensed healthcare practitioner about any illness or injury in addition to crystal healing.
How can you improve your life with Pyrite?
Ritual, Sacred, Metaphysical, Crystal Meanings, and Traditional Uses In Ancient and Modern Life
Pyrite was historically used for many things. During the 1800s Pyrite was a valuable decorative stone. It was carved into shoe buckles, rings, and other ornaments. During the Victorian Age people made it into jewelry. And during World War II the war machine used it as a source of Sulfur; it produced sulfuric acid for industrial use.
- Protection: Pyrite is an excellent amulet against harm or danger. This is true especially when away from home or doing dangerous work.
- Manipulation: This crystal relieves and restricts manipulation by a partner, parent, or even an employer.
- Inspiration: It brings creativity and inspiration in many areas such as art, mathematics, and science. It also fosters creative ideas and concepts in daily life.
- Mental Fatigue: This stone eases mental fatigue whether from overwork or being too tired.
- Leadership: It promotes leadership in a firm manner.
- Male Energy: It is protective and assertive and brings those qualities to both men and women.
- Fears: This crystal helps overcome fears, even groundless ones.
- Self-confidence: It promotes strong self-confidence.
- Grounding: Pyrite helps you to be in reality and see it clearly. This stone also brings stability and balance
- Manifestation: This crystal is one of manifestation of abundance in life, as well as success and power. It promotes finding ways to create more abundance in life
- Happiness: It also supports internal harmony which brings happiness.
- Talisman: This stone is an excellent talisman for those who work with fire, and it protects builders.
- Emotions: It can bring warm feelings, even passion.
- Will power: It also strengthens your will power.
Get excellent Pyrite and other crystals from Exquisite Crystals.com
I love every stone I’ve gotten from them.
Chakras and Other Associations
Pyrite is associated primarily with the Solar Plexus Chakra, but also the Sacral Chakra. See the Chakras Pages to learn more about the chakras. It also has Yang, Earth, and Fire energies.
Discover other stones at the Sacred Crystal Meanings. Also, learn how to clear and charge your crystals and other interesting things about crystals here. You might enjoy learning about Quartz or Jasper, too.