Opal comes from opalus in Latin. Today we believe that this originates from Sanskrit upala meaning precious stone. Romans believed this stone was good for and healing for the eyes. So, it is called the eye stone. During the middle ages, it was literally called opthalmos, meaning the eye stone. In Greek, it is called opallios, meaning “to see a change in color.”
Opal is a traditional and modern birthstone for October. Plus it is a gift for the 14th wedding anniversary.
Opal is primarily silicon dioxide which can have a water content at or around 5% to 10%. It can also be as low as 3% to as high as 21%. Its spangles of silicon dioxide and water that cause the opalescence or bright streaks of color when you turn it in the light. Because of this, it is considered a mineraloid rather than a true mineral. To most of us, it is simply a wonderful crystal.
Types of Opals
There are three major types of opal: Precious White Opal, Precious Black Opal, and Common Opal. Precious white opal is what many have in mind for opal. It has a white or light body with an iridescent play of color, or flash when turned in the light. Precious Black Opal is the same but with a dark body. Common Opal is opalescent with a pearly sheen but does not typically exhibit a play of color. Sometimes Fire Opal is considered a fourth type of opal with its vivid reds, oranges, and yellows that rarely flash with streaks of green. Others consider Fire Opal to be a type of Common Opal. Additionally, Boulder Opal is sometimes considered precious. Any of these types can be transparent, translucent, or opaque. And opals come in white, colorless, red, orange, yellow, green, brown, blue, and black.
Be Aware that opal can scatter energy like it scatters light. So, be well centered and grounded before using.
What would you use this stone for in crystal healing rituals?
Spiritual, Metaphysical, Energy and Historical Crystal Healing Meanings
Please remember that healing crystal meanings are not medical advice. Crystal healing is support for healing and wellness. See a doctor or other licensed healthcare practitioner about any illness or injury in addition to crystal healing.
- Light Energy: This crystal brings Light energy to the body’s systems, giving it a boost in all areas.
- Emotional Healing: This brings emotional healing through the Light Opal shines and clears away emotional baggage.
- Emotional Chaos: Opal clears out emotional dross and allows removal of the destructive state which created chaos and lower feelings in life.
- Water Balance: This stone helps with the balance of water in the body, including dehydration, easing water retention, and purifying the blood and kidneys.
- Eyes, Nails, More: This crystal is good for the health of the eyes, nails, hair, skin. It can be used in treatments to strengthen eyesight. Nails, hair, and skin can benefit from an elixir.
- Calm: This crystal brings a sense of calm.
- Depression: This gemstone eases depression. Also, it increases your will to live.
More Crystal Healing Meanings
- Stress: This crystal can strongly relieve stress.
- Pregnancy & After: Opal eases fears during pregnancy and the first months of a child’s life.
- Fear of Childbirth: It also helps dispel fears of childbirth itself. Also, it can be emotional support that helps to overcome irrational fears while pregnant.
- Emotional Body: This gemstone Helps you feel in control by soothing the emotional body.
- Insulin: This crystal can regulate Insulin production.
- Fever: This gemstone is an excellent fever reducer.
- Female Hormones: This stone is supportive with various issues with female hormones such as PMS or menopause.
- Neurotransmitters: It can also balance neurotransmitter disturbances, even in Parkinson’s Disease.
How can you improve your life with with this crystal?
Ritual, Sacred, Metaphysical Properties, Gemstone Meanings, and Traditional Uses In Ancient and Modern Life
- Optimism: Kindles optimism and enthusiasm.
- Passion: Associated with love, passion, and eroticism. Can intensify feelings and release inhibitions.
- Meditation: Meditations where Opals are often very deep.
- Shamanic Journeys: Shamanic Journeys can be stronger and deeper when using these gemstones.
- Joy In Life: Joy in life increases with these crystals.
- Imaginary Friend Problems: For children, these gemstones relieve problems with imaginary friends.
- Spontaneity: This crystal brings a lightness of heart and spontaneity.
- Opals are Mother Goddess related, so they are excellent as gifts for mothers and mothers to be.
- Empty Nest: This gemstone consoles during empty nest syndrome.
- Happy Dreams: Bring happy dreams, especially in children.
- Good Luck: Opal is also a stone of very good luck.
- Stone of protection: This crystal is protective. This is especially true to keep from absorbing others’ negative thoughts and energies.
- “Invisibility”: This gemstone brings a shield of “invisibility” for times you do not wish to be noticed. Also, it can help you fade into the background.
- Conception: If you bury a tiny Milk Opal under a fruit tree, mother tree, or willow it can help with conception.
- Psychics: This crystal expands energy for psychics, mediums, and teachers who use speech to communicate higher beings or guidance.
- Communication with the Divine: This gemstone fosters and makes communication with the Divine accessible.
- Assists to help entities such as spirits and ghosts to a higher realm
- Humanitarian Service: This gemstone fosters humanitarian service of all kinds.
- A Caution: If put in water, opal may crack or break as it dries.
Some Types of Opal
These are usually opaque and do not exhibit play of colors. This crystal can help ease worry, chronic stress, and depression. It helps sleep, eliminating insomnia, and nightmares. This crystal can balance the male/female energies of the body. It can also attract angelic beings, as well as attune you with the higher self and ethereal realm, and balance the chakras.
This crystal has a lot of colors, patterns, and displays of flashing color. They bring gentle energy of strength and also of purification. They allow the entire body to function in harmony. These stones are related to both Water and Fire. They are related to the Root and Sacral chakras. Additionally, these crystals have favorable Dragon energy.
Fire or Mexican Fire Opal
This crystal is transparent or translucent in bright earth tones: red, orange, or yellow. Rarely it will have a bright iridescent play of color. The latter type is “Precious Fire Opal” or it may be called “Firmament Stone.” They are associated with the Root and Sacral Chakras. They awaken your passion whether it is a bodily passion or spiritual passion. Fire Opals can draw in money. They also activate chi and kundalini. Additionally, they reduce situations where you are mistreated.
Opal at ExquisiteCrystals.com
I just love their stones@
Peruvian (Andean) Opal
This is a type of common opal that’s normally translucent to opaque. It is related to the Inca Goddess of Fruitfulness and Mother Earth. Crystal healers use it to give communication of the heart, bring inner peace for a difficult time, and healing old wounds. Peruvian Opal can induce a receptive state for journeying, divination, and other metaphysical uses. This stone is related to the Heart and Throat Chakras and the element of water.
Precious Black Opal
This stone has a dark body color, usually black or grey. This variety is a stone of great luck, uplifting, and bringing Light into your aura. This gemstone reduces depression and hopelessness. It magnifies intention and also manifestation. This crystal protects you for soul retrieval or past-life recall. You can also use it for “gazing” into any time, present, future, or past. This crystal is related to linking the Root and Crown Chakras.
Precious White Opal
This light-colored stone has gorgeous streaks or flashes of iridescent color when it is turned in the light. This is a play of color, and it is due to the spangles of silicon dioxide and water that comprise this opal, not any pigment. This crystal brings humanitarian service to those who wear it or carry it. They also inspire dance, teaching, writing, and organizing the performing arts. It is related to the Crown Chakra plus the chakras relating to the hues in its play of color.
Many opals today are made into doublets or triplets in order to make their play of color stand out more. A doublet is when a backing stone, usually white, is permanently bonded to an opal. A triplet occurs when a cab of clear quartz or glass is bonded to the top of the opal to protect it and show off its play of color better.
Chakras and Other Associations
All types of this crystal are related to the Mother Goddess. Also, they are related Cardea, the Roman Goddess of Doorways and Entry. And Persephone, Greek Goddess of Spring and Queen of the Underworld. In addition, there are Cyhiraeth, Welsh Goddess of Streams and Brooks, Dana, Celtic River Goddess, Chiraka-Ixmucane, the Mayan Creator Goddess. Lastly, there is Ixchel, Mayan Goddess of Childbirth.
In conclusion, Opals are wonderful stones. They encourage humanitarian service, spontaneity, and dynamic creativity. White Precious Opals and Fire opals inspire those who dance, teach, write, organize performing arts. They also support those who access deep realms of the self to heal, such as hypnotherapists.
You can find mineralogical data on Opal here. And gemological data here. You can see additional references and resources on crystals for sacred, spiritual healing, metaphysical, and/or mineral information. Discover other stones at The Sacred Crystal Meanings. Also, learn how to clear and charge your crystals here.