Amethyst is a beautiful crystal. This variety of quartz ranges from light pinkish violet to a deep purple. The name of the crystal comes from the Ancient Roman and Ancient Greek word “amethystos.” That means “not drunken.” The Greeks and Romans believed that Amethyst would prevent drunkenness. Some put the stone in their wine cups in the belief that it would keep them from getting too drunk. These ideas in time brought the energy forward that makes it “the sobriety stone” today. Along with Citrine it is half of Ametrine. Additionally, intuition and spirituality are hallmarks of the grace and power of Amethyst.
Sacred, Spiritual, Energy and Historical Healing Uses
Cultures throughout time have used Amethyst for a wide variety of crystal healing purposes. Some amethyst uses are:
- Relieving addictions and alcoholism: Addiction relief ranges from alcoholism to quitting smoking. Additionally, it can help with more severe addictions.
- Finding the cause of negative and compulsive behaviors: Amethyst helps find the root cause of negative and compulsive behaviors which can hamper a person severely. Knowing the cause of negative and compulsive behaviors is a step toward removing them. Therefore, Amethyst can help you take that extra step further, toward getting rid of those behaviors.
- Balancing and calming the nervous system, including the brain: When the nervous system and brain are in an excited state, the whole person can easily become unbalanced and unwell. Crystal healers use Amethyst to calm this excited state.
- Healing tinnitus: Amethyst is a remedy for tinnitus, which is a ringing or an ocean sound in the ears.
- Dealing with blood oxygen issues: Amethyst boosts the body’s ability to handle blood oxygen issues. These issues may be from lung disease or something else.
- Balancing Weight: This crystal aids in reducing obesity or excessive weight loss, bringing the bodyweight into balance.
- Stopping pain: People from various cultures used and still use Amethyst to give pain relief. This may be done by wearing or carrying Amethyst, or by attaching the Amethyst to the painful area.
Additional Healing Uses in Ancient and Modern Times
- Lung problems: Issues with the lungs are soothed and helped by this crystal.
- Throat issues: From sore throats to more severe problems with the throat, Amethyst aids throat issues.
- Glands: This stone assists the thymus and thyroid glands
- Eyes: This crystal benefits the eyes.
- Headaches: Amethyst can aid both ordinary headaches and migraines.
- Insomnia: Amethyst helps avoid insomnia, especially when the crystal is placed under the pillow.
- Cancer: This crystal is said to decrease cancers including leukemia.
- Alzheimer’s disease: Amethyst can be significant assistance when dealing with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Healing: This stone may improve healing in general and bring wellness in place of illness.
Many people have asked me over time if hiding an amethyst in a loved one’s pocket or pillow will make them get sober or clean from drugs. Unless the person wants to do so, it will not. Crystals can not force a person to do something against their will. However, it might help them want to give up drink or drugs. Then, the person and the crystal can go from there.
Please remember that healing crystal meanings are not prescriptions or medical advice. See a doctor or other licensed healthcare practitioner about any illness or injury.
Ritual, Sacred, and Traditional Uses In Ancient and Modern Life
Different cultures have used Amethyst for a long history. The Neolithic people and Ancient Egyptians made it into amulets and jewelry. Additionally, Ancient Chinese texts and Ancient Ayurvedic Indian texts mention this crystal. Ancient cultures in central America made grave goods and ornaments with this stone. Also, Amethyst is associated with the Archangel Jeremiel. In addition, this crystal was one of the stones of the breastplate of the Hebrew High Priest Aaron.
Some of these uses of Amethyst in the past and present are:
- Spiritual perception
- Working with your spirit guides and angels
- Increasing psychic and intuitive abilities
- Protection from psychic attacks
- Getting rid of psychic implants
- Clearing blockages of most kinds
- Assisting past life recall
- Clearing a person’s energy field
- Bringing Light to places of darkness
- Blocking geopathic stress
- Brightening a space
- Energizing a space, for example, placing amethyst in all four corners of a room, property, or area
- Increasing mental clarity and organization
- Clearing and charging the energy of other crystals. Amethyst clusters work best for this.
- Heightening spiritual awareness
- A February birthstone
Amethyst is associated with the Third Eye and Crown Chakras. Also, it opens and clears the eighth and higher chakras in the human energy field.
See AllTheChakras.com to learn more about the chakras.
See additional references and resources on crystals for metaphysical and crystal meanings.
Discover other stones at The Sacred Crystal Meanings.